When you search for EV chargers online, “mode 2” and “mode 1” often appear on the website. What does this mean? Let’s explore the terms in this article.
This kind of charging involves just an inlet plug into a wall socket, an extension cord, and a charging connector to the charging port in the electric car, without any limitation and protection and easily resulting in risks. Thus, mode 1 charging is prohibited in most countries and Bluesky also advocates for customers not to use this kind of charging.
mode 2 charger
Compared with mode 1, mode 2 charging adds a control box which oftis en abbreviated as ICCB (In Cable Control Box) and IC-CPD (In-Cable Control Protecting Device). The box contains protection against electric shock and overheating. When using mode 2 charging, pay attention to the socket. For example, in China, the normal socket supports 10A and the socket reserved for air conditioners supports 16A. With Bluesky mode 2 charger with adjustable current, you can charge anytime and anywhere safely.
Bluesky mode 2 charger
- Automatic power-off function when fully charged
- Adjustable current 8/10/16/32A by shortly pressing SET to select the current mode
- Scheduled charging by shortly pressing SET to select the time setting
- Memory function which can remember the current/time you set last time
- Protective function: A+DC 6Ma RCD, overvoltage, overcurrent, overtemperature, CP abnormality, Relay adhesion, etc.
- Optional plug types: Industrial plug, UK plug, NEMA12-50, NEMA 6-30P, NEMA 10-50P, Schuko, Central and Eastern European plug, Chinese standard 3PIN
- Optional charging connector: Type 2, Type 1, GB/T
Mode 3 refers to the charging of an AC EV and a charger that works as a transition between the electric vehicle and the electric vehicle. The electricity grid outputs alternating current (AC) into the AC charger and the AC charger onboard into the on-board d charger (OBC) in an electric vehicle, which works as a converter to change AC to direct current (DC) with ich can be stored in ba attery. Because there is a limitation on OBC, so even if you come across a 22kW AC charger, your EV cannot get 22kW charging when the OBC in your car supports a maximum of 11kW. However, if you have an electric bus fleet, Bluesky’s 43Kw AC EV charger is a match for you.
If you install a Bluesky AC EV charger at home, will it influence other electric appliances? No worries because the Bluesky AC EV charger can be configured with wireless dynamic load balancing to prioritize other electric appliances.
|Distance per hour charging
|The OBC accepts power in AC
|Bluesky AC Charger Power
|Tesla Model Y Standard Range
|Tesla Model 3 Standard Range
|Ford Mustang Mach-E Standard Range
|Chevrolet Bolt EV/EUV
|Hyundai IONIQ 5 Standard Range
|Rivian R1T Adventure Standard Edition
|BYD Seagull Free Edition
|Kia EV6 Standard Range
In this way, if you drive Rivian R1T Adventure Standard Edition, mode 3 charging is not suggested.
Mode 4 refers to the charging DC EV charger which itself works as a converter to change AC to DC. In the inner part of the DC charger are some rectifiers that change AC to DC and some fans to dissipate heat. That is why a DC charger is faster than the AC in charging speed and heavier, bigger, and noisier than an AC charger. In this way, drivers don’t need to consider the power OBC can accept. For electric buses with a battery capacity from 200 to 400 Kw, mode 4 charging of normal air-cooled DC charger cannot meet the fleet’s demand. Bluesky’s liquid-cooled DC charger with better a better way to dissipate heat.
Besides, Bluesky also offers an EV charging stack. In Wenzhou, China, we have our Split-type charging station with 2 pieces of 360kw cabinets and 6 charging posts.
What is the difference between it and 6 pieces of 120kw DC charger?
- Safe and reliable: The charging technology of the charging stack makes the power system more stable, reduces the probability of equipment failure, and improves the safety and reliability of the equipment.
- Small footprint: The charging stack adopts a modular design, is flexible in composition, and occupies a small area. The charging station can be built in a relatively small space.
- Simple installation: The installation of a charging stack is simpler than traditional rigid charging piles. No civil engineering works are required, and the number and location of power supply units can be flexibly adjusted.
In conclusion, no matter for home, retail, workplace, hospitality, commercial fleet, or roadside station, Bluesky can always offer reliable charging solutions. Have you decided what kind of EV charger to buy? Welcome your inquiry!